Thursday, March 24, 2011

Cycladic Art from the Met

Last Monday Don, Harry, and I headed to NYC to deliver some tiles to a client in Soho. After a brisk walk down Mercer Street and a hearty lunch, we headed up to the Met for a quick visit. My intention was to photograph some of the tiles on display in the American Wing, but I was drawn into room 161, or there about.

I've been a huge fan of Cycladic art since I took my first art history class many moons ago, and these simple, but elegant renderings always fascinate me.

No one knows for sure what the purpose of these stylized figures was, but since they all have been found in graves, perhaps they served some religious significance.



These three are my current favorites!

We did eventually get to the American Wing......after the exhibit on Guitars.....and the elegant Box Show.....those photos to follow soon!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home