Saturday, May 1, 2010

Museum of the Earth

For the second weekend in a row my husband Don and I have made the trip from Rock City Falls, NY, to Ithaca to visit our son at Cornell. Last week we stopped in Syracuse on the way home and spent a few hours being inspired at the Everson Museum of Art. Today we headed up one of the many hills in Ithaca to visit the Museum of the Earth. WOW! I really love paleontology - and for those of you who follow this blog, or are a fan of my facebook fan page, you'll know that I just finished a custom tile order that included carvings of NYS fossils....so this visit was really full of fossil eye candy for me!

From cephalopods to trilobites, ammonoids to eurypterids, the Museum of the Earth holds several million specimens, including those of the Devonian of New York State.


Fossils have such rich and varied textures, they are a natural inspiration for someone like me who just loves to carve. And I could really see that these natural forms are inspirations for many of the collected works of the outstanding ceramic artists at the Everson Museum of Art. Two wonderful and inspirational museum trips in two weeks....lucky me!!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home