Monday, April 26, 2010

Inspiration at the Everson Museum of Art

Earthenware bowl by Glen Lukens "Bowl with Death Valley Glaze" 1941


I'm not sure what to say about this piece, or more to the point, I don't know how to say what I want to. I couldn't walk away. I couldn't take my eyes off of it. I wanted to hold it. I wanted to eat it. At least I was allowed to photograph it.....and that is a very good thing....thank you Everson Museum of Art.

With so many important and pivotal artists in the ceramic world represented at the Everson, I found myself overwhelmed by the presentation, and a little distracted, too. Pieces are crammed into glass showcases, with little or no personal space. Some of the work is centered behind the point where 2 sliding glass panes meet, not allowing a full unobstructed view of the piece at all. A lot of pieces are on a shelf so low I needed to sit on the floor to really get a good look. I would love it if every piece was displayed on its own stand and I was allowed to pick it up and hold it. I would also like to own the majority of pieces on display.....just so that I could touch them.

Inspiring and amazing, I'll post more photos all this week.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Moonangelnay on Etsy said...

it's very different that's for sure! does kind of look edible! but very unique, thanks for sharing :)

April 27, 2010 at 9:05 AM  
Blogger Kathryn Dyche said...

That bowl has a really interesting design. It's such a shame when you feel like you can't fully appreciate a piece because they're so much going on.

April 27, 2010 at 9:46 AM  
Blogger Linda Ellett said...

This piece was made in 1941, and was a purchase prize of the IBM corp in 1963, so it was an very early example of American ceramic art as sculptural object!
Thanks for commenting....and I love your photographs!

April 27, 2010 at 11:04 AM  
Blogger Linda Ellett said...

Kathryn, thanks for commenting. The display was distracting...but I got lost in so much of the work that I was able to be inspired by it anyway. I highly recommend a visit to the Everson!

April 27, 2010 at 11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home