Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Frogs - My newest carving project!

I do love Victorian postcards. Where else do kittens, chicks, frogs, and rabbits get to dress up in sportswear and fancy hats, and generally entertain themselves? So I'm very excited to begin work on my newest custom order, inspired by one of those postcards.
The customer has a home with an existing fireplace that is tiled with original American Encaustic Tiling Co. tiles, with the focal point being a 3 tile panel of frogs being very dramatic.


Enemies are approaching?


The sky is falling??


They're out of mayonnaise???

An acting troupe????

There are 2 more fireplaces that need tile, and since one of them is visible from the main dining room, the customer wanted to continue with a frog theme. She found my small frog tiles in my Etsy shop and asked if I could re-carve them in a larger format for her fireplace. Then, after she researched Victorian postcards on the internet, she found the above pictured postcard, and decided that's where I should start. And so I will.

I've reformatted the image to spread over 3 tiles. I'm very excited to start carving this panel and will certainly keep you posted!!

2 Comments:

Blogger natalies.sena said...

Can you post picks as you work? I'm interested to see how a tile like this is made

November 2, 2010 at 11:35 PM  
Blogger Linda Ellett said...

Hi - yes, I'll post photos of the whole process. I'll be laying out the carving tonight and put up a few pics.
Thanks for your interest!!

November 3, 2010 at 9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home